Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Candy Cane Crafts

I learned the most incredible thing last week. Did you know that candy canes can be
melted and then shaped into anything? My kids and I have had so much fun changing the traditional candy cane shape into cupcake toppers, letters and even cookie cutter ornaments. It's a fun, fresh take on a Christmas icon.
Preheat your oven to 225. Heat whole canes canes on a cookie sheet covered with parchment for about 5 minutes.  You can also crush candy canes and fill a cookie cutter with the pieces.  These will take longer to melt about 10 minutes but keep an eye on them.  If you want to put ribbon through it, wait a few minutes after you take them out of the oven and then use a skewer or popsicles stick to make a hole.  Only do a few candy canes at a time since they cool quickly. Shape as desired. I used an ice cream cone to help shape the cupcake toppers.
 This is such a great project for kids. They like seeing the transformation.

  XO,
Jenny

9 comments:

  1. yahoo! that is way cool and something on my very very long to do list! :) thanks Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Ok, so we just tried this. Cookie cutter thing worked great. Trying to shape the individual canes was a sticky mess. Should I heat for fewer minutes next time ?? How did you keep the candy from smearing when you touched it? Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Ooooo....loving the peppermint theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! Thank you for this crazy cool idea!!! Your pics are sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't find this on your Pintrest board. Is there a way to pin it? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome is that! Looks fabulous!
    Kindest regards,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such great ideas! I wish I would have seen these last week. We had a candy cane themed party for my 12 year old...so fun!

    ReplyDelete